In honor of Earth Day (which is approaching soon) I’ve come up with some environmentally friendly beauty tips to help us look good and assist Mother Earth simultaneously!
1) Buy natural bath and hair products– the less chemicals going down the drains, the better. Companies like Earth Science, Pangea Organics and Aubrey Organics all use more natural ingredients. Health food stores and supermarkets like Whole Foods sell natural beauty products.
2) Don’t take a shopping bag when you buy cosmetics– do you really need a bag for a lipstick or eyeliner? Tell the sales clerk you’ll pop it into your purse and keep the receipt to prove you bought it. If you buy more items or larger items, use a small tote bag. CVS has a green tag that you can scan at the register when you refuse a bag. Every time you scan it, you get 1 point. Four points gets you $1 ExtraCare coupon.
3) Use products that require less packaging– a good way to do this is by using solid shampoos and conditioners. Lush and Chagrin Valley both make solid shampoos. Pangea Organics packages their soaps in boxes that carry seeds. They recommend planting the box to grow plants.
4) Buy a glass nail file– they can be sterilized, and they last ages.
5) Dispose of old nail polish properly– do a search on how to get rid of old nail polish in your town. Some may have a hazarous waste facility.