Hey friend, how are you?
My self care has been better this week. I went to therapy this past Friday, and it was helpful. She taught me some breathing techniques that have been helping me reduce stress. You breathe in deeply on a count of 8, and focus on each body part as you exhale. Start with your head, then move to the shoulders, chest, etc. Try it and let me know if it helps you.
Here is what I’ve done for self care.
1) On Sunday I popped over to visit my friend Eileen. We went for a walk to Marshall’s and Michael’s craft store. Eileen makes greeting cards and needed some supplies. At Marshall’s I found a leave in conditioner I wanted at a reduced price! Score!
2) I didn’t go to work yesterday. I had back pains and I’m prioritizing my health over everything else.
3) Last night a friend and I went to the Brooklyn Academy of Music to see a speaking engagement with Arundhati Roy! I’ve long been an admirer of her work. If you haven’t read any of her books start with “The God of Small Things”.
4) I’m on my bed gazing at the blue skies and fluffy white clouds and enjoying a cool breeze. I love early afternoon summer, when it’s not sticky hot and the sky is more beautiful than anything else I see right now.
5) I bought myself flowers. Sunday was Father’s day, and I didn’t realize this until after I purchased them, but I have been my own father throughout my own life, so I deserve the flowers!
What was your self care this past week?